One of the girls selling her dress on our site recently contacted us to let us know scammers had been contacting her through her dress advert.
She realized that it was a scam due to the potential buyer using two different names.
Selling stuff online can be incredibly easy but it’s important to be on the alert as you can get scammed if you don’t take the right precautions.
The fact is that the big bad world of the internet is filled with scammers. They will try one way or another to get your money without giving you anything in return.
Don’t worry though – there are a few things to do to ensure that you don’t get scammed.
Please watch for the following signs of obvious scammers:
- Do some research on there name, are they on Facebook or Instagram and does it appear to be the person they say they are? Most people normally have some kind of online identity but watch out for fake ones.
- Check the phone number, does it look right? Does someone answer the phone?
- Be very careful if they explain they are out of the country
- If they offer to pay more than the asking price, that is a sign (i.e the offer is too good to be true).
- If they say they will get another person to pick up the item.
- If they state that the payment for your dress will go through Promsie well that is not true as we never get involved in the actual sale process of used prom dresses.
- Be on the alert if they want to send you some money (more than the dress) and then ask you to on send it somewhere else.
If there is any doubt about the authenticity of the person, don’t proceed with the sale.
If you want to read more about things to watch out for here are some of the top online scams.
If you have had scammers try to contact you for your classified advert please let us know the details in the comments and help to spread the word so other girls don’t get scammed.